On Thursday, July 18th, a devastating fire burned down Kyoto Animation’s 1st Studio Building, claiming the lives of 35 people and hospitalizing 33 more. The human costs of this tragedy are unfathomable and the damage done to the studio is immeasurable. We stand together with KyoAni in their time of need, and want to do our part in spreading the word to fans on how to help the studio and its staff. For our Community Shout-Outs this week, we’ve compiled a list of resources that you can use to donate to the studio and reflections from the fandom that celebrate the legacy of KyoAni, its staff, and their stories. Please take the time to read each of these pieces and, if possible, take part in the efforts to send love KyoAni’s way.
Anime Expo was so packed with news and events that it’s taken us a month and two podcasts to cover it all! In this first installment of our AX coverage, we spend over two hours simply discussing all the exciting announcements made at Anime Expo, from long-awaited licensing announcements to new projects by legendary artists like Katsuhiro Otomo and Yoshitaka Amano! Then, we take a trip back in time to share a podcast we recorded pre-AX, discussing our impressions of the then-upcoming convention and what we did on Day 0. This includes VLord’s thoughts on the LA premiere of Detective Conan: Zero the Enforcer and a couple of other panels live-streamed from Petree Hall! If you think this podcast is lengthy, well, just wait until the next episode, where we’ll discuss our entire AX experience in an episode that’s over four hours long! Until then, get a taste of how exhausting AX is by listening to this extensive episode!
KyoAni Resources & Retrospectives:
- KyoAni’s Official Direct Donations Page
- KyoAni’s Official Statement about the July 18th Fire
- @mimiko_kupo’s Guide to Buying From KyoAnis Online Store
- Sentai’s GoFundMe
- Right Stuf’s Donations Page
- How to Donate to KyoAni Through Right Stuf
- Eleven Arts’ Paper Cranes to #HelpKyoAniHeal Initiative
- Share a Message of Support to KyoAni Through Crunchyroll
- Crunchyroll’s Roundup of Ways to Help KyoAni
- SakugaBooru’s Retrospective on KyoAni
- Japan Times Retrospective on Kyo Ani
- New York Times Retrospective on KyoAni
- New York Times Article on the KyoAni Arson
- CNN’s Coverage of the KyoAni Arson
- Lauren Orsini’s Forbes Articles on The Impact of KyoAni
- Toonami Faithful’s Tribute to KyoAni
- @johnnylandmine’s Thread about KyoAni’s Impact on Toyosato
00:00 – The KyoAni Arson: News, Resources, & Ways to Help
23:14 – Podcast Plans
ANIME EXPO NEWS:
24:55 – Intro
27:21 – Cross Infinite World licenses
33:22 – Dark Horse rereleases What’s Michael?
35:14 – Viz Media AX licenses
56:14 – Yen Press AX licenses
1:12:52 – Yen Press Has Not Licensed Persona 5 Memento Mission & A La Carte?
1:15:06 – Square Enix AX licenses
1:21:18 – Seven Seas AX licenses
1:33:48 – J-Novel Club AX licenses
1:45:22 – Sol Press AX licenses
1:48:19 – Denpa AX licenses
1:50:09 – Vertical AX licenses
1:57:30 – Kodansha AX licenses
2:08:07 – Sailor Moon gets worldwide digital release in 10 languages, including in english on Comixology
2:09:43 – Sailor Moon Eternal films open in 2020
2:11:54 – Kodansha to launch “The Complete Works of Katsuhiro Otomo” project
2:14:02 – Otomo makes new film – Orbital
2:16:20 – Akira gets new anime and film remaster
2:17:48 – Live-Action Akira delayed indefinitely
2:19:40- Otomo and Oshii join the Academy
2:22:21 – Yoshitaka Amano’s Gibate anime
2:26:55 – Trigger’s next show – BNA
2:29:24 – NYAV Post to dub Promare
2:30:06 – Harmony Gold renews Macross license
2:32:30 – Viz/Crunchyroll partnership
2:33:42 – FUNimation & Nozomi announce streaming partnership
2:34:46 – FUNimation to release Tokyo Ghoul S in theaters in September
2:35:28 – Crunchyroll to bring over Konosuba film
2:36:10 – Demon Slayer to premiere on Toonami
2:38:23 – Fire Force debuts on Toonami
ANIME EXPO DAY 0:
2:39:54 – Day -1
2:42:26 – Day 0
2:52:34 – Detective Conan: Zero the Enforcer
3:14:39 – Competitive Lines & Panels
3:18:42 – Dark Horse AX Announcements
3:22:45 – Day 0 AX Panels
3:28:30 – Wrap-Up
Enjoy the show, and follow us on twitter at @manga_mavericks, on tumblr at mangamavericks.tumblr.com, and on Youtube! You can follow the hosts on twitter at @LumRanmaYasha and @VLordGTZ. If you’d like to help support the show financially you can pledge to our Patreon and receive some awesome rewards like our Patreon-exclusive Bonus pods! If one-time donations are more your speed you can donate to Colton’s Ko-fi here and LumRanmaYasha’s Ko-fi here, and if you want to support LumRanmaYasha’s art and other projects you can donate to their personal Patreon. Don’t forget to also like and subscribe to us on Youtube and iTunes and leave us reviews to help us curate the show and create better content!
- Support us on Patreon!
- Read our latest State of the Podcast Post for updates on our schedule and the show!
- Read Lum’s reports from Anime Expo!
- Read more of Lum’s reviews on All-Comic!
- Read VLord’s reviews on All-Comic!
- Read Vlord’s reviews on Toonami Faithful!
- Hear more of VLord’s thoughts on Zero the Enforcer on the Save Case Closed Podcast!
“Koi wo Shita no wa” by aiko
“Detective Conan Main Theme (Zero the Enforcer Version)” by Katsuo Ono
“Zero – ZERO-” by Masaharu Fukuyama