Our Dreams at Dusk is a beautiful manga that explores characters across the LGBTQ+ spectrum in different phases of their life, struggling to be accepted for being themselves, and finding a community and support network in one another. It made waves when Seven Seas released it in English last year, and after reading it we knew we had to talk about it on the show!
We’ve also brought on a very special guest to discuss the series with us – Jocelyne Allen, translator of Our Dreams at Dusk and so many other amazing manga! Jocelyne shares her insights on the series as its translator, shedding some light on some pivotal scenes and language used in the story. She also discusses her career history in translation, including her early career as a translator for Honda, differences between translating novels and manga, her experiences interpreting, and so much more! We had a delightful conversation with Jocelyne, discussing everything that makes this manga such a dream come true for queer manga fans of all ages!
But our dream doesn’t end with this podcast! Throughout this month we’ll be releasing podcasts about different LGBTQ manga in a loose theme month we’re calling LGBThanksgiving! Look forward to more interviews with translators and creators and discussions of beloved series about love in the coming weeks!
00:22 – Introducing LGBThanksgiving!
Our Dreams At Dusk & Interview with Jocelyne Allen!
05:23 – Introducing Jocelyne & Our Dreams at Dusk
07:30 – Translating “Dareka-san” as “Someone-san”
11:35 – Using Pronouns for “Someone-san” and Misora
16:00 – Tchaiko & Seiichiro: Learning from the Experiences of Queer Elders
18:44 – How Jocelyne Got Into Manga
21:50 – Jocelyne’s Experiences as a Translator
35:24 – Jocelyne’s Experiences Translating Ryoko Ikeda’s Manga!
38:49 – The Slurs & Profanity in Our Dreams at Dusk
46:46 – Utsumi & Koyama, Tasaku & Misora, and Misguided Allyship
49:46 – Queer Identity and Coming Out
53:05 – Understanding Yourself & Wanting to Be Seen For Who You Are
56:00 – Embracing Change
57:12 – The Pacing & The Ending
1:03:24 – Kamatani’s Visual Metaphors
1:07:00 – Translating Onomatopoeia
1:11:00 – How Closely Translators & Editors Collaborate
1:13:50 – Representing the LGBTQ Community
1:15:48 – Researching Onomichi
1:17:45 – The Depth of Our Dreams at Dusk
1:19:35 – Jocelyne’s Experiences in Interpreting
1:25:38 – Farewells & Where to Find Jocelyne
1:29:16 – Community Shout-Outs
- Queering the Guillotine’s Our Dreams at Dusk Podcasts
- TomoChoco Podcast’s reviews of Our Dreams at Dusk
- Help TomoChoco Reach Their Next Patreon Goal!
- Read Right to Left’s Podcast on Yuhki Kamatani
- A profile of Yuhki Kamatani and their exploration of gender and identity across their works
- Our Dreams at Dusk and the Process of Healing Through Found Families
- ChattyAF podcast on Our Dreams at Dusk
- Jocelyne’s Blog, Brain vs. Book
- Interview with Jason Thompson on Shaman King on Kodansha Live
- Demon Slayer Podcast Interview with Daryl Harding/Doctor Dazza on Demon Slayer: Mugen Train
- Daryl’s review of the Demon Slayer film
- Part 2 of Shonen Sunday roundtable with Takahashi, Hata, Kumanomata
- Gaijin Goomba’s Yashahime Yokai Folklore video
- FunUntitled podcast
- Asinine Lupin podcast review of Lupin: The First
1:38:04 – Wrap-Up
Enjoy the show, and follow us on twitter at @manga_mavericks, on tumblr at mangamavericks.tumblr.com, and on Youtube! You can also follow the hosts on Twitter at @sniperking323 and @lumranmayasha. If you’d like to help support the show financially you can pledge to our Patreon and receive some awesome rewards like our Patreon-exclusive Bonus pods! If one-time donations are more your speed you can donate to Colton’s Ko-fi here and LumRanmaYasha’s Ko-fi here, and if you want to support LumRanmaYasha’s art and other projects you can follow them @siddartworks on Instagram and Twitter and donate to their personal Patreon. Don’t forget to also like and subscribe to us on Youtube and iTunes and leave us reviews to help us curate the show and create better content!
- Support us on Patreon!
- Find us on Apple Podcasts or wherever you listen to podcasts!
- Follow Jocelyne on Twitter!
- Read Our Dreams At Dusk!
Tchaikovsky – Symphony No. 1 in G Minor, “Winter Daydreams,” as performed by Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra
Tchaikovsky – Piano Concerto No. 1 in B Flat Minor, as performed by London Symphony Orchestra