We can’t stay silent any longer! We’re screaming out our love for A Silent Voice all the way to the moon!
Special guests and big friends Vix, Marco Oliveros, and Kory Cerjack join us for a special retrospective of Yoshitoki Oima’s heart-wrenching and heartfelt coming of age story! Vix and Marco share their perspectives as teachers based in Japan to discuss how accurately the series depicts bullying culture in Japanese classrooms and the systemic issues that perpetuate it. Vix and Kory also share insights into the challenges faced by students with disabilities, and how ill-equipped a lot of teachers and public schools are to accommodate them. Plus, Kory and Colton reflect on revisiting the series after previously podcasting about it five years ago, and how their thoughts on it have changed or matured since then. We also dig into the series’ themes of growth and change, how well it depicts depression and disabilities, and our complicated thoughts on these complicated characters!
There’s a lot to explore, so take our metaphorical hand as we guide you through this door, rediscovering what this series has to offer and so much more!
0:22 – Intro
02:44 – Seven Seas issues statement regarding edits to Mushoku Tensei and Classroom of the Elite
12:12 – Toei Anime added to Tubi TV
17:34 – Crunchyroll adds all the UY movies
21:45 – Spy x Family anime domain name registered
22:50 – Amazon developing live-action Hellsing
23:45 – Detective Conan OP/ED Poll results
30:04 – One Piece Worldwide Character Popularity Poll provisional results
34:37 – Jujutsu Kaisen 2nd character popularity poll results
38:42 – Chainsaw Man 2nd character popularity poll
A Silent Voice Retrospective!
42:03 – Intro & Thoughts on the music in A Silent Voice
43:16 – Guest Introductions
48:31 – Our Histories with the Series
48:54 – Colton’s History
54:12 – Kory’s History
56:08 – Marco’s History
58:40 – Thoughts on the One-Shot
1:00:38 – Yoshitoki Oima’s Background
1:02:00 – Vix’s History
1:03:24 – Lum’s History
1:06:28 – Childhood Bullying & Trauma
1:08:03 – Shoya’s Self-Hate & Redemption Story
1:18:56 – Satoshi
1:25:39 – Miki
1:28:11 – How People’s Formative Experiences Inform Who They Become
1:32:43 – How the Education System Fails to Address Bullying in the Classroom
1:48:57 – Alienation & Isolation
1:50:22 – Naoka
2:00:52 – Psychology of Trauma
2:03:03 – Navigating Trauma in Adulthood
2:04:31 – Support Networks & The Nishimiya Family
2:11:40 – Barriers to Communication for People with Disabilities
2:16:36 – Adaptational Differences in Emphasis
2:18:00 – The Teacher
2:22:14 – Resistance to Change & Social Responsibility in Japanese Society
2:25:03 – Kory’s Hot Take
2:25:30 – Shoko & Deaf Representation in A Silent Voice
2:39:03 – Empathy & Optimism
2:40:53 – Nagatsuka
2:44:35 – “How Different are the Manga and the Movie?”
2:47:06 – “Do they Handle Miki Better in the Manga?”
2:50:43 – Comparing the Anime & Manga
2:55:35 – “How Do You Feel About How the Movie Depicts the Relationship Between Bullies and Their Victims?”
3:00:26 – “Thoughts on the Series’ Theme of Collective Guilt?”
3:05:11 – Venting About the Public Schooling System
3:09:53 – Guest-Plugs
3:13:00 – Community Shout-Outs!
- Manga Machinations on A Silent Voice
- Shojo & Tell on A Silent Voice
- Getting Animated on Mental Health in A Silent Voice
- Japan Station Podcast on Teaching English in Japan and Learning Japanese While Legally Blind
- Inside Japan Podcast on Special Needs classes
- Gaijin Perspective
- Nobita’s Channel
- Toonami Faithful SSSS. Gridman podcast
- Access Flash or Access Denied
- Wandavision, Gridman, & the Beautiful Prism of Nostalgia
- Resources to Combat Anti-Asian Violence
3:22:30 – Wrap-Up
Enjoy the show, and follow us on twitter at @manga_mavericks, on tumblr at mangamavericks.tumblr.com, and on Youtube! You can also follow the hosts on Twitter at @sniperking323 and @lumranmayasha. If you’d like to help support the show financially you can pledge to our Patreon and receive some awesome rewards like our Patreon-exclusive Bonus pods! If one-time donations are more your speed you can donate to Colton’s Ko-fi here and LumRanmaYasha’s Ko-fi here, and if you want to support LumRanmaYasha’s art and other projects you can follow them @siddartworks on Instagram and Twitter and donate to their personal Patreon. Don’t forget to also like and subscribe to us on Youtube and iTunes and leave us reviews to help us curate the show and create better content!
- Support us on Patreon!
- Find us on Apple Podcasts or wherever you listen to podcasts!
- Read or buy A Silent Voice wherever its available!
- Follow Kory, Marco, and Vix on Twitter!
- Read Marco’s Blog, Therefore It Is!
- Read Marco’s Essay on A Silent Voice!
- Listen to Kory’s Podcasts, The Taiiku Podcast & Manga In Your Ears!
- Listen to Colton’s previous A Silent Voice thoughts on the Manga Corner and the AniManga Podcast!
- Listen to our @ Movies review of the A Silent Voice movie for more thoughts on the film!
- Listen to our To Your Eternity review!
- Kaiser Neko’s Detective Conan/Phineas & Ferb song mashup