On this episode of Manga Mavericks, Colton & Lum are joined once again by John from the Mercury Falcon Youtube channel, as well as first time guest and manga letterer, Phil Christie, to finally discuss one of Shotaro Ishinomori’s many classic manga titles with Kamen Rider! One of two of the biggest long lasting tokusatsu hero franchises Ishinomori was responsible for creating about a man who, after being kidnapped by an evil organization known as Shocker and turned into a cyborg, dons the superhero persona of Kamen Rider, the defender of justice! Join us as we gush about Ishinomori’s amazing art and rave about how fun the series was to read, but also how we feel the development of both the story and the characters fall a bit flat due to the comic needing to stay consistent with the then concurrently airing television series. Plus, John gives us a lot of history on the background and development of Kamen Rider, while Phil discusses his process while working on the lettering for the manga’s release from Seven Seas! Listen as we JUMP for joy and KICK our feet in the air while we discuss why this series is still a joy to read even over 50 years later!!
Listen to the latest bonus podcast on our Patreon where we discuss our thoughts on Jujutsu Kaisen 0 with special guests, Kate Sanchez from But Why Tho? and Sam Leach from the One Piece Podcast!
00:00 – Intro
03:39 – Kamen Rider manga discussion
1:31:43 – What other Rider series have we watched? Or want to watch?
1:37:02 – “Where do I start with Kamen Rider?”
1:45:22 – Has Kamen Rider’s legacy overshadowed that of Ishinomori’s?
1:50:03 – Why isn’t more Kamen Rider available in the US?
2:01:29 – What’s our favorite manga from Ishinomori?
2:04:24 – Guest Plugs
2:07:23 – Community Shout-outs!:
- MercuryFalcon’s Iczer-1 retrospective, Toshiro Hirano Retrospective, Space Punch, Cyborg 009, & Skullman videos
- Mangasplaining’s Kamen Rider Podcast
- Blunova’s Kamen Rider videos
- MarcosHouses’s History of Kamen Rider
- AniFem on How Kamen Rider Fails Its Women, Queer Subtext and Representation in Kamen Rider
- Verdis Joe on Masked Rider
- Toy Galaxy on Masked Rider
- Kaiju no Kami’s Shotaro Ishinomori: King of Manga Panel from Anime Detour 2018
- TheGreatBurg on Why Shotaro Ishinomori was Important
- Cartoonist Kayfabe on Ishinomori’s Legend of Zelda manga
Enjoy the show, and follow us on twitter at @manga_mavericks, on tumblr at mangamavericks.tumblr.com, and on Youtube! You can also follow the hosts on Twitter at @sniperking323 and @lumranmayasha. If you’d like to help support the show financially you can pledge to our Patreon and receive some awesome rewards like our Patreon-exclusive Bonus pods! If one-time donations are more your speed you can donate to Colton’s Ko-fi here and LumRanmaYasha’s Ko-fi here, and if you want to support LumRanmaYasha’s art and other projects you can follow them @siddartworks on Instagram and Twitter and donate to their personal Patreon. Don’t forget to also like and subscribe to us on Youtube and iTunes and leave us reviews to help us curate the show and create better content!
Ukraine Aid Resources & Links
- Ukraine Crisis Media Center links
- Ukraine Caard
- Ukraine Linktree
- Ukraine Refugee IRC Emergency Fund
- PayPal Pool to Help Afro-Caribbean Students in Ukraine
- American Prestige Podcast’s Ukraine Explain episodes
- Zoya Sheftalovich on Putin’s Miscalculation
- Ukranian President Zelenskyy’s Plea to the Russian People
- Thread by an Ukranian teen documenting the war
- Petition to NATO to close Ukrainian Airspace & Remove Russia from SWIFT
- GoFundMe’s Verified Ukraine Fundraisers & Humanitarian Fund
Texas Trans Support Resources & Links
- Act-Blue and Donation Page for the Transgender Education Network of Texas
- Dawn’s Fundraising Raffle for TENT
- Links to Smaller Trans Organizations in Texas to Donate to
- Anime Feminist’s Dual Resources & Links List for Ukraine Aid & Trans Community Support
- Find us on Apple Podcasts or wherever you listen to podcasts!
- Support us on Patreon!
- Kamen Rider is available both physically and digitally from Seven Seas!
- Follow John and Phil on Twitter!
- Check out the MercuryFalcon Youtube channel!
Let’s Go!! Rider Kick by Hiroshi Fujioka
Kamen Rider no Uta by Koichi Fuji
You must be logged in to post a comment.