New 100-page special marks two decades since Rebellion acquired the legendary 2000 AD
Twenty years ago, a new phase in the history of the legendary 2000 AD began – and a brand new special is set to celebrate the Rebellion era!
The 2000 AD Sci-Fi Special is out Wednesday 24 June, focusing on the 20 years since games developer Rebellion acquired the Galaxy’s Greatest Comic.
This 100-page special features brand new work from superstar comics talent including Jock (Batman), Al Ewing (Immortal Hulk), Dan Abnett (Guardians of the Galaxy) and more!
As well as classic cuts from the archives, the special pits some of the biggest characters and series from past and present against each other in explosive, thrilling, humorous, and brand new adventures! It also dives into the archives to explore Rebellion’s tenure as the publisher of 2000 AD.
Originally launched by publishing giant IPC in 1977, 2000 AD’s unique blend of innovative and hard-hitting sci-fi, fantasy and action saw it survive and thrive, despite the declining fortunes of the UK comic publishing industry. After being moved to IPC’s Fleetway comics subsidiary, it was sold to Robert Maxwell in 1987 and then to Danish publisher Egmont in 1991.
In 2000, the title, its characters, and its legacy were purchased by brothers Jason Kingsley and Chris Kingsley, the owners of games developer Rebellion. In post as ‘Tharg the Mighty’ since 2002, editor Matt Smith is now the longest-serving editor in 2000 AD’s history and the title has gone on to win multiple domestic awards, as well as being nominated for an Eisner Award in 2013.
The 2000 AD Sci-Fi Special is available from Wednesday 24 June from all good newsagents and comic book stores, as well as in print and digital from 2000 AD’s webshop and apps!
The 2000 AD Sci-Fi Special full-line:
- Judge Dredd: The Immigrant by Al Ewing (w) Jake Lynch (a) Jim Boswell (c) Annie Parkhouse (l)
- Terror Tales: Scene of the Crime by Al Ewing (w) Dom Reardon (a) Tom Frame (l)
- Kingdom: Shako’s Kingdom by Dan Abnett (w) Richard Elson (a) Simon Bowland (l)
- Sinister Dexter: Bullet Time by Dan Abnett (w) Andy Clarke (a) Chris Blythe (c) Ellie De Ville (l)
- Storm Warning: Black Storm by John Reppion (w) Clint Langley (a) Jim Campbell (l)
- Nikolai Dante: A Farewell to Arms by Robbie Morrison (w) Simon Fraser (a) Gary Caldwell (c) Annie Parkhouse (l)
- The Red Seas vs Ant Wars by Ian Edginton (w) Steve Yeowell (a) Jim Campbell (l)
- Dreams of Deadworld: Fear by Kek-W (w) Dave Kendall (a) Ellie De Ville (l)
- Judge Dredd: Leaving Rowdy by John Wagner (w) Carlos Ezquerra (a) Tom Frame (l)