On this episode of Manga Mavericks, we’re joined by founder of Okazu and yuri scholar, Erica Friedman, to once again revisit the works of Nagata Kabi with a discussion of another one of her self-reflective personal memoirs with My Alcoholic Escape From Reality! In which we visit Kabi during her time recovering in the hospital from severe pancreatitis due to her excessive drinking, as well chronicling through her artist’s journey of deciding between working on either fiction or non-fiction. We discuss our thoughts on this book in particular and once again grapple with the difficult and complicated feelings we get from reading Kabi’s works as pieces of entertainment, as well as her journey as an artist up to this point.
This discussion was one we originally recorded around the time of its English release last year and uploaded exclusively on Patreon as a bonus podcast, but have made it available to the public in time for our upcoming episode on Kabi’s newest memoir with My Wandering Warrior Existence, coming next week! But if you can’t wait until then, its already available over on our Patreon at our $2 tier for those who want to listen to it early! Or if you sign up for the next tier up, you can listen to more exclusive bonus podcasts like this one! Whatever tier you choose, we appreciate any support you give us!!
00:00 – Intro
05:03 – Our discussion of My Alcoholic Escape From Reality
1:19:51 – Community Shout-outs!:
- Erica on Alcoholic Escape From Reality
- Erica’s profile of Takako Shimura’s series on MangaSplaining’s blog
- Yuricon 20th anniversary presentation
- Erica’s interview with Ada Palmer
- MSU Japanese Pop Culture Localization Roundtable
- Toonami Faithful Toonami 25th anniversary celebration podcast
- Blunova on Gundam’s female fandom
- Bedhead Bernie’s Beavis & Butthead retrospective
- KaiserBeamz’s Project A-ko Retrospective
- Shrine Comics One-5hots Voting
1:37:48 – Wrap-up
Enjoy the show, and follow us on twitter at @manga_mavericks, on tumblr at mangamavericks.tumblr.com, and on Youtube! You can also follow the hosts on Twitter at @sniperking323 and @lumranmayasha. If you’d like to help support the show financially you can pledge to our Patreon and receive some awesome rewards like our Patreon-exclusive Bonus pods! If one-time donations are more your speed you can donate to Colton’s Ko-fi here and LumRanmaYasha’s Ko-fi here, and if you want to support LumRanmaYasha’s art and other projects you can follow them @siddartworks on Instagram and Twitter and donate to their personal Patreon. Don’t forget to also like and subscribe to us on Youtube and iTunes and leave us reviews to help us curate the show and create better content!
Ukraine Aid Resources & Links
- Ukraine Crisis Media Center links
- Ukraine Caard
- Ukraine Linktree
- Ukraine Refugee IRC Emergency Fund
- PayPal Pool to Help Afro-Caribbean Students in Ukraine
- American Prestige Podcast’s Ukraine Explain episodes
- Zoya Sheftalovich on Putin’s Miscalculation
- Ukranian President Zelenskyy’s Plea to the Russian People
- Thread by an Ukranian teen documenting the war
- Petition to NATO to close Ukrainian Airspace & Remove Russia from SWIFT
- GoFundMe’s Verified Ukraine Fundraisers & Humanitarian Fund
Texas Trans Support Resources & Links
- Act-Blue and Donation Page for the Transgender Education Network of Texas
- Dawn’s Fundraising Raffle for TENT
- Links to Smaller Trans Organizations in Texas to Donate to
- Anime Feminist’s Dual Resources & Links List for Ukraine Aid & Trans Community Support
- Find us on Apple Podcasts or wherever you listen to podcasts!
- Support us on Patreon!
- Check out My Alcoholic Escape From Reality as well as the rest of Kabi’s memoirs available digitally and in print!
- Read Lum’s Review of My Alcoholic Escape From Reality
- Follow Erica on Twitter
- Visit her blog at Okazu
- Support Erica on Patreon
- Erica’s post about Nagata Kabi’s works
- Listen to our episodes on both Solo Exchange Diary & Lesbian Experience