“Fly Me to the Moon
Let me podcast among the stars
Let me see what marriage is like
From a, Sunday and Hata
In other words, listen to me
In other words, baby, read this series!”
That’s right, we’re over the moon because we’re taking a trip into one of the latest hit Shonen Sunday manga, Kenjiro Hata’s Fly Me to the Moon! As always when we cover anything Sunday, we’re joined once again by Sakaki, founder of the Weekly Shogakukan Edition Talkback Twitter & Blog, as well as Marion from the Good Friends Anime Club and a gamut of other podcasts! Oh, and Mavericks teammate VLord, host of the Demon Slayer Podcast and Dumb Weebs is here too, I guess.
Listen to this dream team discuss this dreamy manga about married life! We chat about the couple, the cuteness, the name, the pop culture references, and the allusions to The Tale of the Bamboo Cutter and the implications it may have on the story. We discuss everything that makes Fly Me an engaging manga, one you’ll want to commit to! We’re not asking for the moon here; read this manga and fly high with us!
00:00 – Intro
02:09 – “Tonikawa: Into the ground with this name!”
06:11 – Fly Me to the Moon Background
14:42 – Fly Me’s Story
17:52 – First Impressions
20:20 – Hayate vs. Fly Me
24:18 – Art & Paneling
27:48 – Pop Culture References
32:38 – Relationship Realness
34:44 – Tsukasa
38:08 – Couples Chat
41:38 – Anime Anticipation
46:10 – Unique Rom-Com Elements
54:50 – Princess Kaguya Allusions
1:04:18 – Tsukasa and Nasa’s Relationship
1:07:26 – More Pop Culture References
1:09:28 – Should You Read the Manga First, or Wait for the Anime?
1:15:38 – State of Sunday 2020
1:19:13 – Guest Plugs
1:28:48 – Community Shout-Outs
- Sakaki’s translation of the Takahashi/Kumonomata/Hata interview
- Marion’s Fly Me to the Moon Review
- Marion’s Analysis of Noelle from Black Clover
- “From Tsunade to Mereoleona” from Ivy Rose
- Mercedez Lewis’ Fly Me to the Moon Review
- Vrai Kaiser’s Yashahime Review
- Dee’s Sleepy Princess Review
1:34:26 – Wrap-Up
Enjoy the show, and follow us on twitter at @manga_mavericks, on tumblr at mangamavericks.tumblr.com, and on Youtube! You can also follow Lum on Twitter at @lumranmayasha. If you’d like to help support the show financially you can pledge to our Patreon and receive some awesome rewards like our Patreon-exclusive Bonus pods! If one-time donations are more your speed you can donate to LumRanmaYasha’s Ko-fi here, and if you want to support LumRanmaYasha’s art and other projects you can follow them @siddartworks on Instagram and Twitter and donate to their personal Patreon. Don’t forget to also like and subscribe to us on Youtube and iTunes and leave us reviews to help us curate the show and create better content!
- Support us on Patreon!
- Find us on Apple Podcasts or wherever you listen to podcasts!
- Buy Fly Me to the Moon from Viz Media!
- Lum’s Fly Me to the Moon Review!
- Read Lum & VLord’s Manga Reviews on All-Comic.com!
- Read Sakaki’s Weekly Shogakukan Edition Twitter & Blog!
- Read Marion’s Blog and articles for the WSE Blog!
- Read VLord, Sakaki, & Marion’s Articles for Toonami Faithful!
- Listen to VLord, Sakaki, & Marion on the Demon Slayer Podcast!
- Listen to VLord on the Dumb Weebs and Toonami Faithful Podcasts!
- Listen to Marion on the Good Friends Anime Club, Shocking! A Dorohedoro Podcast, the View From the Top! Haikyuu! Podcast and the My Hero Academia Podcast!
- Revisit our InuYasha Retrospective & Manga Fight!
- Revisit our Shonen Sunday Overview Podcast!
- Revisit our Sleepy Princess in the Demon’s Castle Podcast!
- Revisit our Komi Can’t Communicate Podcast!
“Fly Me to the Moon” by Frank Sinatra
“Koi no Uta (feat. Tsukasa Tsukuyomi)” by Akari Kito
“Tsuki to Hoshizora” by KanoeRana